Welcome to my (long!) journey to becoming a registered dietitian. While the road seemed long and difficult at times, I am so happy that I became an RD!
My education started at Virginia Tech, where I got a BS in Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise. I did not choose the dietetics concentration at the time because I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life :) I ended up working as a school dietitian for a few yeas in Virginia and got my Master’s in Health Education.
It was only after that that I realized that I wanted to be an RD. So I completed the University of Alabama’s distance Didactic Program in Dietetics:
- My schedule of DPD Courses
- Trying to finish a semester earlier
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Introduction to Nutrition
- Spring 2012 Semester
- Getting my verification statement
In Spring 2013, I was matched with Utah State University’s dietetic internship program
- Completing my Prior Assessed Learning (PAL) packet
- Orientation Day 1
- Orientation Day 2
- Orientation Days 3 & 4
- Thoughts about orientation
Here’s a breakdown of all of my dietetic internship rotation posts!
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 1
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 2
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 3
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 4
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 5
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 6
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 7 (staff relief)
- Inpatient Clinical: Week 8 (staff relief)
- My long-term care rotations were not the best experience and I did not blog about those- sorry!
- Community: Weeks 1 & 2
- Community: Week 3
- Community: Week 4 <– the end of my internship!!
I did received prior assessed learning credit from my work experience in school nutrition, and that shaved over a month off of my internship :)
And then, the happiest day ever… when I passed my RD exam!!!
Info for Students and Dietetic Interns
- Tips for the food service rotation of the DI
- Tips for completing the dietetic internship
- Tips for Passing the RD Exam
- Tips for Dietetic Interns
- Becoming a Registered Dietitian
- How to Become an RD- Paying for School
Life as a Registered Dietitian
- Guest Post on Kath Eats Real Food: The School RD
- Changing Careers! Switching from school nutrition to clinical
- Thoughts on Being a School Dietitian
- School vs. Clinical Dietetics
- 1 Year After Becoming a Registered Dietitian
- Day in the Life of a Clinical RD– 2014
- Day in the Life of a Clinical RD– 2015
- Registered Dietitian Q&A
- You Know You’re a Dietitian When…